How to Run SAP LSMW in the Background
Did you know that you can run an LSMW object in the background?
(Basic Premise: There are 3 main executable tasks, as long as you can run these in the background and their results can be placed on the application server then the process can be run in the background.)
In order to do this proceed as follows:
After creating your LSMW in the system/client:
1) Go to the step called “Specify Files” and check the file name for:
a. Imported Data File for Imported Data (Application Server)
2) Go to the step called “Specify Files” and check the file name for:
a. Converted Data File for Converted Data (Application Server)
3) Proceed through all steps manually in the foreground including the Read data step if you are loading a file from the front-end.
6) Then go to the “Convert Data” step and check the program name of this step by using the menu path: System–>Status.
7) TIP – The program name will change in each client and for each modification to the program.
8) On the same screen (selection parameter screen for “Convert Data”) save the selection parameters as a variant.
9) Now go to SM36 and define a background job using the Wizard and make the job have 2 program steps, using the;
a. The Convert Data program name and variant in step 6.
10) Finally depending on how your LSMW is created there may be a 2nd and 3rd program which is required but as this is dynamic depending on how your LSMW is created you should be able to figure this out yourself.